SPARC Reanalysis Intercomparison Project
Information on Reanalyses
- reanalyses.org: reanalysis information and intercomparison website prepared and maintained by the reanalysis centers.
Tools for Reanalysis Intercomparison
- List of tools at reanalyses.org: List of web-based tools for comparing atmospheric reanalysis datasets.
- WRIT: Web-based Reanalyses Intercomparison Tools (WRIT), with maps, timeseries, trajectories, etc.
- CREATE IP: Collaborative REAnalysis Technical Environment (CREATE) is a NASA project to collect all available global reanalysis data, providing analytic capabilities, visualization analysis capabilities, etc.
- ana4MIPs: selected major reanalysis datasets are reformatted similarly to facilitate comparison with each other and with the CMIP models
- MERRA atlas: intercomparison of some standard variables between MERRA and other commonly-used reanalyses
- JRA-55 atlas: a complilation of climate maps produced with JRA-55 dataset
- NCAR Climate & Global Dynamics Data Catalog: information about and links to reanalysis data
- NCAR/UCAR Climate Data Guide: provides summaries of key information for each reanalysis (under "Climate Data") along with descriptions of various data analysis tools (under "Analysis Tools")
Tools for Data Retrieval
- NCAR CISL Research Data Archive: includes most reanalyses except for MERRA. After submitting a data request at the site, you will receive an email (generally within 24 hours) describing how to retrieve the data.
Tools for Data Conversion and Analysis
- NCAR Command Language (NCL): ncl_convert2nc can convert various file types (including GRIB, GRIB2, and HDF) into netCDF. The options "-nc4c -c l" will yield a netCDF4 file; the size of a netCDF4 file is much smaller than the size of a standard netCDF3 file, but a higher version of the netCDF libraries is required to handle netCDF4 (see the netCDF FAQ for further details).
- netCDF Operators (NCO): tools for manipulating netCDF-accessible data files, including HDF4 and HDF5
- Climate Data Operators: includes more than 600 operators for manipulating and analyzing data in the GRIB and netCDF formats
- Panoply: Java-based interface for visualizing data in netCDF, HDF, and GRIB formats
More about Data Assimilation and Reanalysis System
- NCAR's DART Data Assimilation Research Testbed: A community software for exploring a variety of data assimiliation methods and observations with different numerical models, designed to facilitate the combination of assimilation algorithms, models, and observations to allow increased understanding of all three.
- MetEd's training course on Data Assimilation: Understanding Assimilation Systems: How Models Create Their Initial Conditions - version 2 (2-3 hour online training course)
- ECMWF's Education material: This page includes materials for the Numerical Weather Prediction Training Course and the Computer User Training Course.
- ECMWF's OpenIFS: The OpenIFS provides an easy-to-use version of the ECMWF Integrated Forecasting System.